You have just purchased the samsung i 5510 – the standard Android version is comes with is 2.2.
The firmware upgrade will be one of your first goals.
Note that searching google will show a lot of options as far as the flashing goes, all with the same issues; the keypad on the unit has buttons that do not correspond with the physical keys.
There were two variants of problems I discovered. First, the “A” and “Y” keys were reversed between themselves, second was the question mark key being mixed with a Armenian A (small 0 on top).
That said, after trialing with about 6-7 different Android releases I have found a Polish version that works.
Lets begin with the flashing:
- Download your firmware from here.
- Download your flashing program (Odin Multi Downloader) from here.
- Copy and paste the following into a text file, then rename to CALLISTO_v1.0.ops :
- Prep your Odin. You will need to point it to your new OPS file (CALLISTO_c1.0.ops), tick the “One package” and lastly to point it to your downloaded firmware (from step 1). The end result will look as such:
- Next, your phone will need to be put into download mode. This can be done by switching it off then holding down the power button + Q key.
If sussessful Odin will recognize the com port mapping and mark with yellow highlighting:
- You are now ready to begin, press “Start”
- Upon completion, the phone will reboot itself. Now we need stock factory condition *remember to do your backup first!*. The way we bring it to factory condition is to start it in recovery mode by using the same procedure as with download more except this time we hold down Power + T. You will “wipe data/factory restore” and “Wipe Cache Partition” with a combination of the ALT and Middle Enter Button. Once complete reboot the phone.
Voila, you now have a samsung i 5510 running Gingerbread 2.3.6.
Other things you may want to know about this phone is that is has recently been taken off the shelves by Samsung so we should not expect further updates; at least not from them.
I have also found the battery to last about 2-3 days depending on use; which is great. You will also find all the new garnish to be to your liking.
This was tried and tested with the 2DegreesMobile carrier in New Zealand and the samsung i 5510 / 551 mobile.